Posts for tag: playgrounds
Summer is here and the kids are out of school. If your kids are like mine, you won’t make it past the third day before you hear the dreaded words, “I’m BORED.” My wife tells the kids that “only boring people get bored.” The kids don’t like it, but the truth is, sometimes letting the kids be bored will encourage them to use their imagination to find something fun to do. Of course, no matter how creative they get, at some point, you are going to need some ideas for ways to pass the time. If you find yourself out of ideas and looking for some fun, free (or super cheap) activities to do with your kids this summer, we hope this list helps get you started.
1) Go to a playground! There are lots of great playgrounds around town. Our favorite is the Kid Venture playground by the civic center, where you can take a break to feed the ducks and go on nature walks around the pond. We also love the Veterans Memorial Park in Pendleton with all its great climbing opportunities and abundant shade.
2) The Splash Pad at Carolina Wren Park. Check the website for the times. (http://downtownandersonsc.com/carolina-wren-park/)
3) Movies Under the Stars at Wren Park. On select Friday evenings, Wren Park will become a movie theater, showing your favorite family-friendly films. Pack your chairs and blankets and spend an evening under the stars. (http://downtownandersonsc.com/carolina-wren-park/)
4) Michael’s Camp Creativity – Michael’s is offering you seven weeks of screen-free, creative fun. Children 3 and up can make a craft for $3. Classes are offered Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. (https://www.michaels.com/camp-creativity)
5) Home Depot Building Workshops- your kids can learn to swing a hammer, follow directions, paint and create at Home Depot’s building workshops for kids. These classes are free and every kids gets a craft to take home and a badge to iron on their Home Depot apron. (https://www.homedepot.com/workshops/#store/1105)
6) Mouse Hunt- Take your kiddos on a search for the Carolina Wrens downtown. See if you can find them all! (https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/b19bc7_4db6c8b188b44f1c92dc5ea714230cd0.pdf)
7) AmStar Movies – Every Tuesday and Wednesday morning, AmStar theater offers $4 kids movies. Each child gets a popcorn and drink and enjoys the movie of the week. (https://www.amstarcinemas.com/skf)
8) Bowling – When you need a break from the oppressive heat, the bowling alley offers a couple of hours of air conditioned fun. Check the website for summer specials. (https://boulevardlanesanderson.com)
9) Library Story Time- Babies, toddlers and pre-schoolers will love the interactive story times at the Anderson County Library. They offer several times a week for different age groups. Make sure you take some books home to read, too!(http://www.andersonlibrary.org/events/events-for-kids/storytime-schedule/)
10) Anderson Museum Events – The museum hosts a variety of different activities throughout summer and school year. Check their website for upcoming events. (https://andersoncountymuseum.org/dinosaur-club/)
11) Anderson Mall KidsX Club – This kids club inspires children to explore the world through arts, crafts, educational experiences and playful activities. (https://kidxclub.com/)